- These horses are of strong Iberian/ Spanish descent. Their genetics are of the rarest and purest genetics available in America today among the historical Iberian horse populations.
- A group of individuals came together to share in the efforts to save these rare and precious horses.
- According to the Equus Survival Trust there are between 100-300 active breeding mares in the Spanish Mustang population. Biologically this puts this horse at the endangered level.
- The Spanish mustang is fast disappearing in it’s traditional state. As the horses have been hybridized and cross bred with modern blood horses, fewer and fewer Foundation Spanish Mustangs remain.
WINDCROSS CONSERVANCY. WHO WE ARE. WHAT WE DO
is a South Dakota 501c3 public charity. Established as the Spanish Mustang is fast becoming a vanishing piece of American history, Windcross Conservancy intends to protect this endangered horse through creating a conservation area for the horses, a public museum, educational center with library of the horse, and continued public awareness through school outreach and public events.
Windcross Conservancy was founded in 2008 to preserve the foundation Spanish Mustang. We see this mission in three vital steps.
- Phase One: Windcross Conservancy in keeping with it's goal of a permanent breeding preserve facility for the Spanish Mustang Horse acquired in November of 2009 a permanent preserve for the foundation Spanish Mustang horse. Windcross practices the principles of the Interlaken agreement in it's goals. There is no effort to change the horse but to preserve the phenotype of breed type of the foundation Spanish Mustang horse. The phenotype of the foundation Spanish Mustang has been on the decline in many respects.
Windcross also aides breeders of these horses with seed stock, breeding information and support.
- Phase Two: Museum, Arena and Visitor Center. This museum will be used in conjunction with local historical information and western history museums to share and celebrate the contribution that the Spanish Mustang made as the American west was explored, settled and built. Phase Two in process
- Phase Three: continuing development of the educational outreach program which in 2011 will grow to include classroom educational packs.